If you’ve been shopping around for internet service at all recently, you’ve probably heard that fibre is the next big thing.
Fibre is a new internet technology that can offer faster speeds than anything else that came before it! But what is fibre? What other benefits does it offer? And why it is the best internet technology out there? Keep reading to find out.
What is fibre?
Fibre optic internet is made up of thin glass wires that are about the width of a human hair. Information is transmitted through these thin strands of glass via pulses of light. This process enables internet data-transfer speeds far greater than any cable or DSL connection.
Because fibre uses light to transmit information, it is not susceptible to water damage or electronic interference. It is a faster, more reliable connection that will be able to handle the demands of increasingly connected homes and businesses.
There are three types of Fibre Internet Deployment:
1. FTTN – Fibre to the node. FTTN means that fibre has been run to a node in your neighbourhood, which is then brought to your house via the older copper wiring that’s already installed and used for cable/DSL internet. Since this service still relies on copper wiring and your internet connection is only as good as your weakest link, users with FTTN service won’t experience the full benefits of a true fibre connection.
2. FTTP – Fibre to the premise. Where Fibre has been run to a piece of equipment in the basement of the building. Much better, but still uses copper to the end user.
3.FTTH/FTTB – Fibre to the Home or Business. This is true Fibre, straight to the modem located in your living room, or your businesses IT room. This is the best quality service that is available from Start.ca.
London’s fibre network
Start.ca is investing in London with fibre technology because London is our home, and we want to provide the best possible internet services for businesses and residents in our city.
Some details about Start.ca fibre:
- Our first fibre lines were installed in 2015
- 5 residential neighborhoods currently have access to our fibre: Woodfield/Piccadilly, Hamilton/Rectory, and Old East Village
- Many commercial areas currently have access to our fibre
- Over the past 4 years, we have built over 150 km of fibre internet through London
- Over the next few years, we plan to continue expanding fibre throughout the city in an effort to make the technology more accessible to residents across London. We are also investing in ways to bring fibre to the underserved rural areas surrounding London
Why is our fibre so affordable?
We believe that everyone should have access to faster internet speeds at a fair price. Since our fibre is owned and operated by us, we are able to lead the market when it comes to affordable fibre rates.
Can you get fibre internet at your residence? To find out, submit a fibre inquiry through our website at https://www.start.ca/get-fibre and one of our fibre experts will get in touch with you.