In this support video, Stacey from the Start.ca service desk explains the role a router plays in getting your devices connected to the internet.
This video features captions and descriptive transcript.
You may have been told you need a router to get your internet-enabled devices on the internet, but maybe you don’t understand what it is. Not a problem. Here’s a brief overview:
- A router takes the internet connection coming into your home and shares it to your devices, like computers, tablets and even televisions.
- Nowadays most routers do this using Wi-Fi, and can handle wired Ethernet connections too.
What type of router is right for you?
Here are some pointers to help you pick a router:
- An entry level unit typically works for 2 or 3 simultaneous users
- A more robust unit may be needed for households with multiple smartphones, computers, tablets
- Get the best one you can afford
- Do your research and read reviews, or contact us for suggestions
- Contact us if you need help setting up this essential piece of equipment.