Slow internet? The fix might be easier than you think. Keith, from the Start.ca service desk goes over some of the things you can check to troubleshoot slow internet speeds.
This video features captions and descriptive transcript.
The vast majority of slow speed issues are actually the symptom of another problem. Here are some common causes of slow internet speeds and how to fix them.
Causes for slow internet speeds
Slow speeds can be caused by a variety of reasons:
- Adding splitters, filters and attenuators to the coaxial cable (cable internet)
- Having a phone line between the modem and the phone jack longer than 3 metres/10 feet (DSL internet)
- Using an incorrect power adapter for your modem and/or your router
- Maxing out your bandwidth
How to fix slow internet speeds
There are several simple ways to fix slow internet speeds:
- Power cycle your modem and router by pulling the power from both devices for one full minute
- Reset the Wi-Fi configuration on your router
- Update your router’s firmware
- Replace your router if it’s old
How to test your connection speed
If you’d like to check your connection speed, we recommend doing a speed test at start.speedtest.net. Run this test over a device that’s connected by Ethernet cable to eliminate any Wi-Fi interference.