Cable Modem Unboxing and Setup
Here’s all the equipment you will receive as a new Start.ca cable internet customer and how to set up your cable modem.
Unboxing the hardware
Inside your box you’ll find:
- Documentation and Quick start guide
- Ethernet cable
- 12 volt power adapter
- Cable modem
Connecting your cable modem
Start by locating the coaxial cable outlet that will be activated. This is known as the cable jack.
- You likely have more than one of these in your home or business, and it’s important to connect to the right one
- Find a spot nearby to plug your modem directly into the wall for power
- Attach one end of the coaxial cable to the wall outlet and the other end to the jack on the back of the modem
- Take the Ethernet cable and attach it to the Ethernet port on the back of the modem
Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable directly into a device (such as a computer or a laptop) and get online or connect the modem to a router, which allows you to use multiple devices.
Connecting your router
Take the other end of the Ethernet cable and attach it to the Wide Area Network (WAN) port on your router.
- Make sure you use the WAN port, which should be colour coded to stand out from the others
- Check to make sure the lights on the cable modem have stabilized
- The “Link” light should start flickering if you’ve connected to a router
Start connecting devices to the router
- Most routers give you the option of hard wiring devices as well as offering wireless access, otherwise known as Wi-Fi
- Make sure to check out our video on Wi-Fi and router security if you want to set up wireless access
- You should now be online and good to go